Entries for the 2018 Konica Minolta 'Art by SA's No.1*' are now open!
Konica Minolta has been dedicated to innovation since its inception. 'Giving Shape to Ideas', the company's brand proposition, forms the guiding principle behind all of its activities. As a truly innovative and socially responsible company, Konica Minolta is hoping to identify and nurture the talents of the future. Konica Minolta wants to combine innovation with imagination for a brighter tomorrow. This art competition is designed to inspire young talent and give them an opportunity to show their creativity.
Entrants are to take careful note of the following conditions; non-compliance will result in disqualification.
All competition monies awarded to winning artists will be paid gross of all taxes and charges. The prizes are as follows:
First prize: R 6 000
Second prize: R 3 000
Third prize: R 1 500
First prize: R 6 000
Second prize: R 3 000
Third prize: R 1 500
First prize: R 10 000
Second prize: R 4 000
Third prize: R 2 000
First prize: R 15 000
Second prize: R 5 000
Third prize: R 3 000
The schools/colleges/tertiary institutions of the first prize winners will each receive a bursary for their school/tertiary institution to the value of R20 000.
The top three finalists in each of the four categories will be announced in the first week of January 2019. These finalists, together with a parent/guardian, will be invited to the final event, which will be held in Johannesburg from Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd February 2019. Should any of the finalists reside out of Gauteng, their travel arrangements will be covered by Konica Minolta. Accommodation for all finalists and their parent/guardian will be covered by Konica Minolta. All travel and accommodation arrangements will be advised at a later date. An unprepared art competition will take place on Saturday, 2nd February 2019 to determine the winner in each category. All art supplies will be provided on the day. The winners will be announced at the gala dinner on Saturday, 2nd February 2019.
1. The Konica Minolta Art Competition is open to students from Grade 0 to University / College students.
2. Only artists who are citizens or have been granted permanent residency of South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Swaziland and Lesotho may participate in the competition.
3. All entries must be accompanied by the following documentation:
a. A completed and signed entry form
b. Personal details to be written on the back of the artwork
1. The submitted entry (the “Work”) must be created in the medium according to the themes provided as per each grade.
2. An artist may enter a maximum of one (1) work only.
3. All works should be the original artistic creation of the participating artist and their making may not constitute an infringement of copyright.
4. The artist must be the owner of the copyright in the works and be able to grant to the organisers the rights set out in clause 5 below.
5. The artist must grant to the organisers the non-exclusive right to make reproductions of the artworks in any manner or form, royalty free, for marketing, promotional, educational and academic purposes and for purposes of exhibiting the artworks.
6. A single work may not exceed A3 (297 mm x 420 mm) in size and must be on paper.
7. Incomplete works will not be accepted.
8. The artist's full name; the full name and contact no. of the parent/guardian; and the name, address and contact no. of the school must be clearly written on the back of the artwork.
9. If images of anyone under the age of 18 are submitted, the artist must obtain the written consent of that child's parent or guardian. Written consent must also be obtained from any individuals aged 18 or over who are identifiable in an image. It is the artist's responsibility to ensure that the necessary consent has been obtained. A model release form is provided in the entry form for this purpose and must be submitted with the competition entry.
1. In order to enter the competition, all entrants shall complete an entry form which is to be attached to the back of the artwork. Personal details (as per clause 8 under “The Work”) must also be written on the back of the artwork.
2. Entries must be submitted by Friday, 14th September 2018. No entries will be accepted after this date.
3. Works are to be handed in to the school/tertiary institution's office. A Konica Minolta representative will collect the entries from the school/institution for adjudication. Entries may also be handed in at the nearest Konica Minolta outlet.
4. Should the entrant be entering the competition independently from his/her school/tertiary institution, then the artwork must be submitted to a local Konica Minolta branch or dealer by latest 14th September 2018. This information can be found on the Konica Minolta website; www.kmsa.com.
1. The best works of art will be selected and sent to the organiser's head office in Johannesburg, where they will undergo a last round of adjudication and where the final top three entries in each category; namely primary school, high school, tertiary institution and special needs school will be chosen.
2. The judges shall be appointed by Konica Minolta in such number and of such qualification as it sees fit in its sole discretion. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. All works of art will be judged anonymously and there will be no segregation by country, genre or style etc.
Unfortunately no works will be returned to the entrants.
In accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (and all other relevant Data Protection legislation), Konica Minolta will hold the personal data of artists supplied on the entry form securely. The data will only be used in the process of administering the Konica Minolta Art Competition and will not be transferred to any third party not directly involved in this competition. All entries will be destroyed on the conclusion of the competition.
By entering the Konica Minolta Art Competition artists are agreeing to all of the within Conditions of Entry. Konica Minolta is entitled to amend the terms and conditions thereof in so far as same is deemed necessary and such amendments may relate to any aspect of such competition, which may include the addition and/or deletion of any existing and/or proposed terms and conditions of the competition. No participant shall have any recourse or claim against Konica Minolta as a result of any amendment to these terms and conditions or as a result of Konica Minolta's cancellation, termination or suspension of the competition.
Terms and conditions apply. E&OE
A single work may not exceed A3 (297 mm x 420 mm) in size and must be on paper. The medium chosen must directly correspond with the theme next to it in the right hand column.